Who we are
Metropol is an industry-leading full-service marketing and printing house in Victoria’s progressive Powerhouse Precinct. Simply put. We do great work that gets noticed—everywhere. We believe in the power of relevant communication.
With a proven and established reputation for excellence and reliability, we pride ourselves on doing what others can’t; we keep work that can be done locally—local.
An energetic, youthful and highly skilled team, we always aim to create something distinct. We’ve expertly crafted thousands of innovative and inspired pieces with cutting-edge technologies and sophisticated techniques that not only look consistently beautiful, but also deliver exceptional results.
To ensure a first-rate customer experience, we retain top-tier talent and always have our best resources on every project. We’re a trusted provider and are subject matter experts energized by profound curiosity.
We are a unique player in the industry by approaching pieces through the R&D process. We produce pieces in much larger runs than have ever been produced in an offset world. Our work explores fresh perspectives and state-of-the-art one-offs in short runs, and we’ve only scratched the surface of what’s possible.
As we drive our business forward, Metropol takes a glance backwards to see where we’ve been, how we got here today, and where we’re going.
2003 – 2008
- Former promoter Steve Webb, Metropol’s founder and CEO, launched a gig poster delivery service—Metropol Event Poster Services —to fill a need in Victoria’s event marketing space. With a system of fair and equal representation through a managed core poster service, Metropol operated from a gymnasium in the Duck Building on Broad Street as a poster printing company and publisher of Metropolitan Magazine, a local music and art publication.
- Integrating design services in 2006, Metropol employed a plethora of graphic designers during a period considered Victoria’s Golden Age of gig posters.
- Incorporated in 2008, Metropol acquired digital printing equipment and manual guillotine cutter to offer comprehensive print services.
2010 – 2015
- Metropol Print, the first street-level location, opened October 2010 in the Atrium building. At 300 square feet, Metropol made a name in the print industry by offering quick turnaround and extended hours.
- In early 2012, the postering and design departments relocated from the Duck Building to a space in historic Chinatown on Chatham Street to form Metropol Studios. Metropol entered the large-format printing market in late 2012 and opened Metropol West in Langford in 2013, the operation for extra large prints, signage and sticker jobs.
- In January 2013, the bulk of the print operations moved from Metropol Print to Metropol Studios, making a shift from inexpensive and quick printing to a focus on quality and innovation.
- September 2013, the Metropol Design Studio opened on the 5th floor of the Wilson Building, the same building as the Metropol Studios. The space served as a home for the design and postering departments.
- In January 2015, most of the walls were removed to allow Metropol to grow into one of the largest digital print producers in Victoria.
2016 – Today
- Metropol Print was the customer service hub of Metropol and was given its first facelift in January 2016 to better represent the company aesthetic by featuring outer space, robots and neon.
- October 2019, Metropol signed off to move into one comprehensive building. Today, we are greater than the sum of our parts with the amalgamation of all four locations into the two-storey 28,000-square-foot heritage-designated Powerhouse building near Rock Bay in Victoria’s Historic Old Town district.
Our New Location
The Powerhouse (Built 1892)
2110 Store Street, Victoria
20 designated ground level parking spaces & grade-level loading
To accommodate our burgeoning business, Metropol is positioned to provide an all-inclusive customer service experience and a superior internal space for employees. We house all departments under one roof, from design and wide format, to digital, production and pre-press, making us a highly efficient one-stop shop for all your quality printing and customized marketing needs.
Partnering with noted heritage developer Chris LeFevre—who has a unique roster of Vancouver Island properties—is a perfect fit. (Metropol has been a previous tenant in his buildings over the years). The stunning character space is hip and utilitarian with 30 to 40-foot open ceilings: think exposed ductwork and electrical conduit, cement floors and original red brick walls, all which lend an edgy industrial feel.
Based on customer and market demand, the team is always thinking several steps ahead about the additional services and departments we will offer in the future.